HISTORY OF GENTRIFICATION, CULTURAL CAPITAL, GALLERIES & ARTISTS
- The Fine Art of Gentrification. Rosalyn Deutsche and Cara Gendel Ryan. October
- Gentrification: Culture And Capital In The Urban Core. Sharon Zukin. Annual Review of Sociology.
- Bohemian Today, High-Rent Tomorrow. Maya Roney. Bloomberg.
- The Real Story Behind the Gentrification of Brooklyn, Jillian Steinhauer. Hyperallergic.
- Gentrification of the Mind. Witness to a Lost Imagination. Sarah Schulman.
- The Art of Gentrification. Madeleine Schwartz. Dissent Magazine.
- Spatial Justice: Rasquachification, Race and the City Roberto Bedoya. Creative Time Reports.
- Whiteness isn’t intellectualism. Whiteness isn’t indigenous. Whiteness isn’t anything. Chiwan Choi. Cultural Weekly.
- Gentrification’s toll: ‘It’s you or the bottom line and sorry, it’s not you.’ Rebecca Solnit. The Guardian.
CRITICISM OF CULTURAL INDUSTRIES, SOLIDARITY & RESISTANCE ACROSS LOS ANGELES
November 16, 2014. Procesion de Testimonios: Evicting Displacement. Leguim Salmor. Los Angeles for La Gente.
August 18, 2015. El Sereno is not “the Next Highland Park. El Sereno Against Gentrification.
November 13, 2015. An LA Community Fights the “Discovery” of Its Neighborhood by Commercial Art Galleries. Abe Ahn. Hyperallergic.
March 15, 2016. Meet All-Women Bike Crew Running Gentrifiers Out of Town. Tashbeeh Herwees. GOOD.
March 16, 2016. Are All Women Shows Good or Bad for Art? Holland Cotter. NY Times.
February 17, 2016. What is a City? Jessica Ceballos. Cultural Weekly.
April 19, 2016. Hope everyone pukes on your artisanal treats’: fighting gentrification, LA-style. Rory Carroll. The Guardian.
May 14, 2016. The Broad: Class Hatred, Concentrated. Demogorgon. Ediciones Chafa.
RECENT PRESS ON GENTRIFYING ART SPACES IN BOYLE HEIGHTS
June 12, 2015. Maccarone Opens Los Angeles Outpost. Cait Munro. Artnet News
November 18, 2015. Another New York gallery comes to L.A.: Franklin Parrasch to open new spot in Boyle Heights. Carolina A. Miranda. LA Times.
November 23, 2015. Mapping the Relentlessly Rising Coolness of LA’s Arts District. Bianca Barragan. Curbed LA.
March 30, 2016. Boyle Heights Gallery Scene in Los Angeles Is Still Growing. Randy Kennedy. The New York Times
April 8, 2016. Boyle Heights art space to show work by USC MFA students who dropped out in protest. Carolina A. Miranda. LA Times.
September 14, 2016. DTLA’s Arts District: An all-inclusive guide. A block-by-block look at the development shaping DTLA’s hippest neighborhood. Julie Walmsley. The Real Deal.